Winter is here, and biting winds, freezing temperatures, and dry indoor heating can mess around with our skin. Here are some easy dos and don’ts to keep dull, dry and flaky skin at bay this season.
• Add an ointment or rich balm to your skincare regimen. Mix a little into your face lotion at night to create a richer and more protective cream that locks in moisture.
• Drink a glass of water close to bedtime. This keeps the body and skin hydrated overnight.
• Use hand cream after hand washing. Most hand soaps can strip the moisture from hands, making them more prone to chapping, cracking and irritation.
• Protect hands with gloves when going outside in the cold.
• Exfoliate excessively. You may be tempted to banish dull skin with a good scrub or peel. Overdoing it will remove too much of the skin’s protective barrier and cause irritation. Once or twice a week is enough. Always follow up with a rich moisturizer.
• Take extended long hot showers or baths. The hot water can loosen the skin’s natural oils which are the ones that keep it soft and hydrated. Hot water can also trigger sensitive skin.
• Skip post shower moisturizing. The best time to moisturize skin all over the body is after bathing to lock in the surface moisture left over from the water. Hydrating results are more intense and long lasting if you leave the skin damp before slathering.