At Skinfix, we respect science as much as we believe in mother nature, and recently, we put one of our theories to the test. We launched a 4-week dermatologist led double blind, randomized controlled clinical study to prove that a natural eczema therapy can work as well as a 1% hydrocortisone cream. The results impressed not only us, but the dermatologist community.
Our study confirmed that Skinfix Eczema Balm is clinically proven to be as effective as 1% hydrocortisone cream to help treat itching, redness, cracking, peeling, and dryness associated with eczema flare-ups. And if that wasn’t enough – after 4 weeks, our balm was proven superior to 1% Hydrocortisone cream for improving skin barrier function – a vital aspect of managing eczema.
How’s that for great news during Eczema Awareness Month!
October is Eczema Month, a topic that is always top of mind at Skinfix. Did you know there are over 36 million people in North America living with this painful, often embarrassing skin condition? When it comes to treating eczema, colloidal oatmeal has been heralded as the hero ingredient, and monographed as so by the FDA. The result? Most skincare brands sprinkle in colloidal oatmeal and call it a day. But dermatologists are finding that multiple natural actives – like zinc oxide and allantoin – in conjunction with colloidal oatmeal are even more effective at helping to treat this uncomfortable skin issue.
Below are some of the top Health Canada and FDA monographed natural active ingredients that treat eczema symptoms, like itching and oozing:
• Sweet Almond Oil at any level up to 100% is monographed by Health Canada, (i.e. tested and approved), to temporarily protect and help relieve minor skin irritation and itching.
• Zinc Oxide, an often grossly overlooked and under-utilized natural active, is monographed by both Health Canada and the FDA at 1-25 % to dry the oozing and weeping caused by poison ivy, oak, or sumac. If you’ve ever had eczema or dermatitis, you’ll recognize those symptoms!
• Allantoin is a superstar ingredient derived from the comfrey root – monographed by both Health Canada and the FDA at .5 to 2% to help prevent and temporarily protect chafed, chapped or cracked skin and lips. Good to know it also helps protect from the drying effects of the wind and cold weather just around the corner.
Skinfix Eczema Balm uses 4 clinically validated natural actives (2% colloidal oatmeal ,7% sweet almond oil, 15% zinc and 1% allantoin) at their active levels, and is clinically proven to be as effective as 1% hydrocortisone cream to help treat itching, redness, cracking, peeling, and dryness associated with eczema flare-ups. In a nutshell – Skinfix Eczema Balm worked as well as a steroid! And after 4 weeks, Eczema Balm was proven superior to 1% Hydrocortisone cream in improving skin barrier function. These results were so impressive you can now find them in this Journal of Clinical Aesthetic Dermatology published study.
Happy reading, and have an itch-free eczema month!
Keeping your skin barrier healthy and intact is an important part of any skincare regimen – whether you have dry skin, or you are one of 36 million North Americans who suffer from eczema.
The outer skin layer is like brick wall, with skin cells being the bricks, and natural lipids the mortar. A weak skin barrier is missing some natural lipids – letting internal moisture out, and irritants in. Finding a way to replenish skin’s natural lipids and lock that moisture in is key to healthy skin. Here are my skin barrier strength training tips:
1. Rethink Your Shower Temperature: Warm is the new hot. If your shower is too hot, you can potentially irritate skin and loosen the natural lipids – basically, washing your skin’s natural protection down the drain. Hot water also causes skin inflammation and can increase the skin’s susceptibility to harsh soaps and fragranced body washes.
2. Toss Fragranced Body Washes & Soaps: Soaps and fragranced body washes may smell divine, but they can irritate the heck out of your skin. Most body washes are far too harsh, stripping the skin of its natural lipids. Coconut-based cleaners are a gentler, natural alternative – effectively cleansing the skin without stripping it dry. Skinfix Soothing Wash is a fragrance and sulfate-free, oil-based body wash that won the Allure Best of Beauty 2016 Award for Sensitive Skin.
3. Lock In Moisture Post Shower: The best time of the day to moisturize effectively is fresh out of the shower. The key is not dry yourself off completely, so skin is still damp when applying a lotion or cream. When it comes to picking the right cream or lotion, look for a formula that uses a mix of humectants (aloe); emollient oils (sweet almond oil) and occlusive (beeswax) – to help moisturize and soothe itchy skin simultaneously. And you need to apply religiously, morning and night!
4. Target Eczema Flare-Ups Steroids have been the tried and true treatment for eczema, but there are new natural targeted therapies backed with scientific data. Skinfix Eczema Balm is a natural, 0% water balm, clinically proven to be as effective as 1% hydrocortisone for mild to moderate cases of eczema. This balm uses natural active medicinal ingredients approved by the FDA for treating eczema, including; colloidal oatmeal, sweet almond oil, zinc oxide and allantoin. Another benefit is with continued use, Skinfix Eczema Balm helps strengthen the skin barrier, which, in turn helps lengthen the time between skin flare ups.
Dr. Kavita, MD, NY Dermatologist
In the beauty industry, winning an Allure Best of Beauty Award is like winning an Academy Award! Over 2 billion beauty products were launched in 2018 and the Allure editors tested and picked their top 300. The competition is fierce – Meryl Streep fierce! But move over Meryl, because this year, Skinfix Foaming Oil Cleanser and Skinfix Calm & Nourish Body Cream won TWO Allure Best of Beauty Awards!
In the Best Rich Body Moisturizer category, our Calm & Nourish Body Cream stole the show, walking away with the win. Formulated with 2 natural actives of colloidal oatmeal, and soothing oat proteins it helps soothe dry, flaky, irritated skin-instantly.
Our Foaming Oil Cleanser won for Best Cleanser in the Sensitive Skin category. This gentle, sulfate free cleanser not only removes makeup but is clinically proven to improve smoothness, and decrease the appearance of redness and blotchiness! What other cleanser has skincare benefits like this?!
And sure, we’re biased, but read what the Allure Editors have to say here or pick up your copy of the Allure October issue! Better yet, shop for Foaming Oil Cleanser and Calm & Nourish Body Cream at skinfix.com and get red carpet worthy skin.
It’s September, but that doesn’t mean your skin has to lose its healthy summer glow! When it comes to your skincare routine, the quickest way to keep skin radiant is to exfoliate. This crucial step in your regimen helps improve skin radiance by getting rid of dead, dry skin cells, evening out skin tone, and unclogging pores while kick starting the skin’s natural renewal process. We break down the 2 different facial exfoliating treatments and ingredients that will keep your skin looking healthy and gorgeous this Fall.
What to look for in your treatment
Manual Exfoliation uses everything from bamboo polishers to sugar or salt combined with oils to physically scrub dead skin cells and help kick start’s skin’s renewal process. Avoid nuts or pitted fruit particles as they can cause micro tears. Skinfix Energizing Scrub uses natural and biodegradable bamboo polishers to help refine pores, ginseng extract provides an energizing boost to support cell turnover and kaolin clay purifies and detoxifies skin.
Chemical Exfoliaters consists of AHAs and BHAs. AHA’s work on skin’s surface and are water soluble. The most common type of AHAs include Glycolic acid, which are derived from sugar cane; Citric Acid including lime pearl, lemons, orange extracts; Lactic Acid including bilberry extract. BHA’s works on skin’s surface and inside the pore; they are oil soluble, so most often preferred for normal to oily skin prone to bumps, clogs, blemishes, and enlarged pores. The most common type of BHA is salicylic acid and willow bark extract. Skinfix Exfoliating Pads use a naturally active acid blend of glycolic, salicylic and lactic acids to help brighten, tone and clarify skin every day. We also add aloe and glycerin to hydrate your skin – which is why Allure Beauty editor Jessica Chia loves this treatment.
Whichever type of exfoliator you choose for your skin, we rigorously safety test on sensitive skin to make sure you always get a healthy glow!
From soaking up the sun’s harmful rays, to swimming in chlorine-laden pools, the easy breeziness of summer can be a demanding workout for your skin. Here are a few ‘fixes’ to help your skin bounce back from its summer hangover, and get ready for fall.
Exfoliate Just like trees shedding their leaves, it’s time to slough off dry dead skin cells. Of course, we love Skinfix Renewing Scrub – a natural, citrus scented scrub that works magic in the shower. A unique blend of natural exfoliating bamboo and 7% glycolic with 6% lactic acids buff skin to smooth, preparing the skin to absorb maximum hydration. And that’s where our Renewing Cream steps in.
Power wash Natural oil washes replenish the moisture in your skin barrier instead of stripping your skin like soap does. Allure award winner, Skinfix Soothing Wash uses a nutrient-rich combination of jojoba, grape seed and aloe leaf juice to replenish your skin’s moisture barrier – leaving skin looking plumped and feeling pumped.
See ya later, bumpy gator. Did too many rounds of golf or tennis leave you with alligator legs? Or are you prone to pesky bumps on the back of your legs? Hydrate and exfoliate your gams back to glam with a daily, hydrating cream packed with botanicals, minerals and 6 natural fruit acids. Skinfix Renewing Cream is is the ultimate skin smoother for dry, rough and bumpy skin.
The extremities call for extreme. Don’t neglect the hard working skin on your elbows, knees and feet. Reach for a thicker hydration solution like Skinfix 12 Hour Miracle Ointment. Extra protective (and hard to pronounce) natural ingredients like cupuaçu butter create a barrier to prevent moisture loss, and pamper dry rough skin.